print Print Cartoon
1. Who is Joe the Plumber and why is he famous?
2. Do you agree with the cartoonist’s suggestion that many people would rather vote for average guy, Joe the Plumber, than either Sen. Obama or Sen. McCain? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. Joe the Plumber (Joe Wurzelbacher) is a voter from Ohio who asked Sen. Obama about his tax plan during a campaign stop, and why he would be taxed more under Sen. Obama’s plan if he buys the small business at which he currently works. Sen. Obama responded by saying:
“It’s not that I want to punish your success. I just want to make sure that everybody who is behind you, that they’ve got a chance at success too. I think when you spread the wealth around it’s good for everybody.”
When questioned by reporters later about Sen. Obama’s response, Joe said “That’s a pretty socialist comment.”
(NOTE: redistribution of wealth is a socialist principle)
2. OPINION QUESTION. Answers vary.
- Watch the video of Joe the plumber talking to Sen. Obama about taxes at youtube.com.
(NOTE: Some of the comments under the video posted by viewers contain immature and sometimes vulgar language. Keep in mind that these types of comments are not productive and do not add to any real dialogue about the issue. Make the decision to refrain from ever posting these types of useless comments yourself.)
- Watch a follow-up interview Joe did at abcNews.com.