1. Define diplomacy.
2. What does the circular symbol in this cartoon represent?
3. What is the point of Markstein’s cartoon?
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. Diplomacy – the art and practice of conducting negotiations between nations (from merriam-webster.com)
2. The circular symbol represents radioactive energy [Markstein uses it in this cartoon to represent North Korea’s nuclear weapons program.]
For more information on this symbol, go to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazard_symbol or
[Note: The radiation symbol is sometimes confused with the fallout shelter symbol. See more at www.civildefensemuseum.com/signs/index.html.]
3. Markstein is illustrating the fact that it is impossible to negotiate with North Korea (and its leader Kim Jong-il) on its nuclear weapons program. The North Korean government is not one that can be reasoned with on a rational, reasonable level.