print Print Cartoon
1. To what recent news item does this cartoon refer?
2. What is cartoonist Lisa Benson implying about the Democrats in Congress?
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. The cartoon refers to the following:
- Democrats, who hold the majority in the U.S. House, are holding secret meetings in a secure room in the basement of the Capitol in an attempt to impeach President Trump, without having voted to start impeachment proceedings against him. (House Speaker Nancy Pelosi decided last week to refuse to allow the House to vote on initiating an impeachment inquiry “at this time,” despite it occurring in every other such inquiry in American history.)
- Democrats insist interviews must be kept secret to prevent “witnesses” from synchronizing stories.
- The anonymous “whistleblower” who accused President Trump of wrongdoing and started the Democrats call for impeachment will not be interviewed, as determined by Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff, the congressman who last year falsely said he had seen proof that President Trump had colluded with Russia. This was not true. An almost 2 year investigation did not find collusion between President Trump and Russia.
- Writing at NBC News, Kelly Jane Torrance asserted, “If Americans are to be confident that this inquiry is serious and fair, and not a last-minute attempt to overthrow the president before next year’s election, Schiff and his colleagues must let Americans watch it take place.”
2. Benson is implying that the Democrats are unfairly keeping Americans in the dark about the “evidence” they have in their quest to impeach President Trump.
(Note to students: To understand the facts: read the text of the conversation President Trump had with the president of the Ukraine at studentnewsdaily.com –this is the conversation that the whistleblower says is proof Trump should be impeached.