1. Tone is the attitude a cartoonist takes towards a subject. Which pair of words best describes the tone of this cartoon?
2. Which comic device does the cartoonist use to make his point? Explain your answer.
3. Do you agree with the cartoonist’s assertion? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. d) light-hearted/humorous
2. Depending on your opinion, answer can be either:
a) exaggeration – to think of or describe something as larger or greater than it really is
e) understatement – statements are purposely understated (described or represented (something) as being smaller, worse, or less important than it actually is). It may be used to indicate the speaker’s nonchalance (or obliviousness) regarding an often important or otherwise remarkable situation.
The cartoonist did not use:
b) pun, which is a “play on words” – a type of humor using a word or phrase that has two meanings
c) parody – known by also as a spin-off or spoof, a parody is an imitation of another’s work, usually in a humorous way to poke fun at the original work. Usually, for a better effect, a parody makes fun of a famous or well-known piece of work, so the audience has a better chance of recognizing the original.
d) irony – when the opposite of what you expect to happen occurs
3. Opinion question. Answers vary.