1. Which technique does the cartoonist use to make his point?
2. Why did you choose the answer you did?
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. c) pun – is a “play on words” – a type of humor using a word or phrase that has two meanings. In this case, “Morsi code” for “Morse code”
2. The cartoonist did not use the following:
- parody – a piece of writing, music, etc., that imitates the style of someone or something else in an amusing way; a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing
- personification – when human characteristics are given to animals or inanimate objects; a figure of speech in which human characteristics are attributed to an abstract quality, animal, or inanimate object
- onomatopoeia – a word that imitates or suggests the source of the sound that it describes. Common occurrences of onomatopoeias include animal noises, such as “oink” or “meow” or “roar” or “chirp.”