print Print Cartoon
1. Tone is the attitude a cartoonist takes towards a subject. Which pair of words best describes the tone of this cartoon?
2. Memorial Day, a day when we actively remember those who who died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, should be observed:
- by visiting cemeteries and placing flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes
- by visiting memorials
- by flying the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon
- by flying the ‘POW/MIA Flag’ as well (Section 1082 of the 1998 Defense Authorization Act)
- by participating in a “National Moment of Remembrance“: at 3pm to pause and think upon the true meaning of the day, and for Taps to be played
- by renewing a pledge to aid the widows, widowers, and orphans of our falled dead, and to aid the disabled veterans
How will you commemorate Memorial Day this year?
(Read the Daily News Article post: “How to Commemorate Memorial Day 2018“)
Find out what is happening in your town by doing the following:
- Do an internet search for “2018 Memorial Day Observances” + name of your city, state
- Check the website for your townhall to see if the town is holding a Memorial Day ceremony.
- Call or check the website for your local VFW, AmVets or DAV for information on their Memorial Day ceremonies.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. a) solemn/serious