print Print Cartoon
1. Write out the idiom that is portrayed in this cartoon, then explain its meaning.
2. A recent CNN poll shows that nearly 70% of Americans oppose the construction of a mosque near Ground Zero, (see politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com) believing that the mosque should not be built on/near sacred ground where so many Americans were murdered by Islamic extremists, but that the mosque should be build elsewhere. What do you think? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. To pour salt on a wound – it means:
- to make a bad situation worse. Salt on an open would makes the wound hurt worse than it did before. (from answers.yahoo.com)
- to unnecesarily cause someone more sadness or trouble when he or she is already in a difficult situation, usually for one’s personal amusement (per urbandictionary.com)
- to deliberately make someone’s unhappiness, shame, or misfortune worse (per the idioms.freedictionary.com)
2. Opinion question. Answers vary.