1. To what news item does this cartoon refer?
2. Irony is defined as when the opposite of what you expect to happen occurs. Describe the irony of this cartoon.
3. Do you agree with the cartoonist’s point of view? Explain your answer.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
The most controversial aspect of the new law is the additional enforcement powers granted police officers. Many opponents believe that police officers can just randomly stop people on the street if they think they might be an illegal alien. The truth is, officers can only question people who have been stopped for other potential violations. Opponents of the new law also say that it will encourage racial profiling. The Arizona Governor has assured the public that racial profiling will not be tolerated. (from about.com)
2. The man has no problem showing his identification at any number of places: a store, the airport, a hotel, BMV (bureau of motor vehicles). But when asked to show identification to a police officer, whose job it is to uphold the law, he is offended.
3. Opinion question. Answers vary.