1. Editorial cartoonists often use symbols to represent an idea. What is the man in the top hat a symbol of?
2. To what news story does this cartoon refer?
3. Ask a grandparent how he/she views these poll results on Americans’ attitudes toward the government, and how it compares to when they were teenagers.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. The man in the top hat is Uncle Sam, who is the national personification of the United States and more specifically the American government.
2. This cartoon refers to the Pew Research Center poll released last week that found that just 22 percent of Americans say they trust the government almost always or most of the time, among the lowest in a half century of polling.