print Print Cartoon
1. a) Editorial cartoonists often use symbols to represent a person, group or idea. What does the bull symbolize overall?
b) Contrast the bull with the bear.
2. Tone is the attitude a cartoonist takes towards a subject. Which pair of words best describes the tone of this cartoon?
3. Which one best describes the main idea of Robert Ariail’s cartoon?
a) bulls don’t stand on chairs
b) the coronavirus causes animals to panic as much as humans
c) the coronavirus is having a negative effect on the stock market
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. a) The bull represents the stock market.
b) A bull market is a sustained rising stock market, sometimes defined as a 20% rally from a recent low. (Bulls are optimistic the stock market will continue to rise future and are likely to buy stocks.)
A bear market is triggered when the market falls 20% from a previous high over an extended period of time. (Bears are pessimistic about the future and expect the stock market to fall.)
2. a) light-hearted/humorous
3. c) the coronavirus is having a negative effect on the stock market