print Print Cartoon
1. Describe the news event the cartoonist is illustrating. Be specific.
2. People have referred to Speaker Pelosi as “a hypocrite” “tone deaf” “elitist” or “clueless.” What do you think? How would you describe her decision to ignore the government-imposed covid regulations every other resident had to abide by?
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. San Francisco hair salons had been closed for almost six months and finally on September 1, the city government permitted salons to reopen for business OUTSIDE ONLY:
- Barber shops, nail salons and massage parlors were also permitted to operate OUTDOORS ONLY starting Tuesday, Sept 1. All employees and customers were required to wear masks and go through a screening process.
- Owners were not permitted to allow customers indoors because it was deemed “not safe” due to coronavirus;
- All Californians are required to wear masks in indoor businesses.
- A video was released by a salon owner of U.S. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi having her hair done indoors on Monday, August 31, one day before even outdoor haircuts were allowed – and she was not even wearing a mask. Pelosi claimed she didn’t know what the regulations were. Pelosi claims the business told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business.
- The salon owner later said, “The point of releasing this video was, and is: If a woman in a high-risk age group who spends much of her time on TV warning about the dangers of COVID-19 feels safe and comfortable in a San Francisco salon, and can be responsible for being cautious and mindful, why can’t the rest of San Francisco, and the rest of America do that too? That was my point.”
- Salons in San Francisco were permitted to reopen for indoor service on September 14.
2. Opinion question. Answers vary.