The following is an excerpt from OpinionJournal’s “Best of the Web” at WSJ written by the editor, James Taranto.
News (and Sports) of the Tautological
- “Reds Lose 98 Games, Short-Term Future Looks Bleak”—headline, Associated Press, Oct. 5
- “NL Wild Card Preview: Either the Cubs or the Pirates Are Going Home Early”—headline, Yahoo! Sports, Oct. 6
Two Candidates in One!
- “Kasich: ‘I Don’t Read a Bible to Figure Out What I Think’ ”—headline, CNN, Aug. 17
- “John Kasich Tells Critics of Medicaid Expansion to Read the Bible”—headline, Huffington Post, Oct. 6
Everything Not Forbidden Is Compulsory
- “California Bans Plastic Grocery Bags”—headline, Associated Press, Sept. 30, 2014
- “Can You Cut a Drought (or a Steak) With a Plastic Knife? One California city is mandating the use of paper plates and plastic cups in restaurants to combat a water shortage.”—headline and subheadline, TheAtlantic, Oct. 6, 2015
Question and Answer—I
- “Finally, a Reason to Vote for Donald Trump!”—headline, VanityFair, Aug. 13
- “Barry Diller Says He’ll Leave the Country if Donald Trump Wins the White House”—headline, Bloomberg, Oct. 6
For more “Best of the Web” click here and look for the “Best of the Web Today” link in the middle column below “Today’s Columnists.”