DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ When President’s Day was declared a federal holiday in 1879 it was originally known as Lincoln’s Birthday.
2. __________________ It is a tradition in the U.S. Senate to read Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address on Presidents Day each year.
3. __________________ A regional school district in New Jersey held a virtual snow day last week – this was made easier because every student and teacher in the district’s two high schools have school-issued laptops.
4. __________________ School officials conducted the virtual snow day to give students something fun to do on their day off.
5. __________________ In a meeting with French President Francois Hollande this week, Germany’s Chancellor Angela Merkel proposed creating a European internet which the U.S. and NSA would be blocked from accessing.
6. __________________ Merkel’s plans to stand up to U.S. espionage include a “massive” increase in counter-espionage measures with plans to subject both the US and British embassies in Berlin to electronic surveillance. The main problem with this is that these embassies only use typewriters to communicate.
7. __________________ In a shock to the United Automobile Workers union, after two years of campaigning, last week a majority of workers at a Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga voted against unionizing.
8. __________________ The UAW had expected to win because VW chose to work with the UAW and in addition to letting union representatives into the plant, Volkswagen kept members of management from expressing any views on the vote, and also agreed to coordinate its public statements with the union during the election campaign.
9. __________________ After 50 or more protesters were killed in Ukraine on Thursday, a demonstrator accused the government of sending snipers to kill them.
10. __________________ Ukraine is divided over those who want to be allied with the U.S. and those who want to be allied with the EU.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.