1. Of the countries taking part in the 2014 Winter Olympic games ____________ have only one athlete competing.
2. Nepal’s 44 year-old Dachhiri Sherpa will compete in cross-country skiing and said “I think there is a very big chance I will finish last” but explained his purpose was to:
a) take a vacation from his job as a bricklayer
b) show the world that you’re never too old to be in the Olympics
c) secure as many endorsements as possible
d) teach young people in Nepal about the Olympic spirit
3. As of Monday, almost 80% of the five Great Lakes were iced over. It is expected that ____________ will ice over completely for the first time since 1996.
a) Lake Superior
b) Lake Michigan
c) Lake Ontario
d) Lake Champlain
4. The ice coverage on Lake Superior this winter will slow down shipping through the Soo Locks. This will affect the delivery of ______________, which is shipped in large amounts across Lake Superior.
c) iron ore
5. The ObamaCare employer mandate requires employers with 50 or more employees to provide health insurance for their employees. In July, the employer mandate for __________________ was delayed until January 2015.
b) employers with 100 or more employees
c) all businesses
d) employers with more than 49 employees but less than 100 employees
6. The Obama administration this week delayed until January 2015 another part of the employer mandate that requires businesses with _________________ employees to provide health care coverage to those employees who work more than 30 hours a week.
b) 100 or more
c) under 50
d) all of the above
7. In April 2013, someone attacked the Metcalf transmission substation in California. They cut telephone cables in an underground vault. Then snipers opened fire on a nearby electrical substation. Shooting for 19 minutes, they surgically knocked out 17 giant transformers that provide power to Silicon Valley. The FBI has said the perpetrators were probably:
c) disgruntled employees
d) none of the above – they still have no idea
8. The chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission at the time of the attack on Metcalf believes it was an act committed by:
c) disgruntled employees
d) none of the above – he thinks it was an accident
9. On Monday, _____________ Alex Bilodeau become the first freestyle skier to win two Olympic gold medals in the Olympic games.
10. Freestyle skier Alex Bilodeau dedicated his medal to his brother Frederic who has cerebral palsy. Alex says he feels a duty to Frederic to _____________________.
a) enter the races Frederic wants to compete in
b) be better than everyone else
c) win the gold every time
d) make the most of his abilities