DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (Two statements are taken from each of this week’s Daily News Articles.)
1. _______________ President Bush made a surprise visit to Afghanistan this week to meet with U.S. soldiers and the country’s leaders at the air base in Anbar province.
2. _______________ President Bush made his visit to Anbar province in advance of General Petraeus’ presentation to Congress on the progress of the surge.
3. _______________ If passed, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act will become the first federal law to prohibit employment discrimination against homosexuals.
4. _______________ If passed, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act will carry a blanket exemption for the hiring practices of summer camps, nursing homes, soup kitchens and other institutions linked to religious congregations.
5. _______________ Michael Chertoff told Congress this week that his agency will not tolerate interference by sanctuary cities when it comes to hiring illegal aliens.
6. _______________ The Basic Pilot Program is a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy for employers hiring potential illegal aliens.
7. _______________ Congressmen from both parties, unions and U.S. truckers all strongly support President Bush’s pilot program to allow Mexican-based trucks full access to U.S. roads.
8. _______________ Those who oppose President Bush’s pilot program say that Mexican trucking companies have poor safety figures, do not keep reliable records and do not dependably test drivers for drugs and alcohol.
DIRECTIONS: Fill in the blank with the correct answer.
9. General David Petraeus is the commander of ______________________________________.
10. Nouri al-Maliki is the __________________________________________________________.
11. Michael Chertoff is the Secretary of ____________________________________________.
12. Sanctuary cities are ____________________________________________________________.
13. New York, San Francisco and Dallas are all _______________________________ cities.
14. ___________________________ began allowing Mexican-based trucks full access to U.S. roads this week.
15. Access to all U.S. highways for Mexican trucking companies was promised by the year 2000 under the 1994 ____________________________________.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.