DIRECTIONS: (7 points each) Circle the correct answer.
1. Which issue was central to the 2008 Democratic presidential candidates’ speeches this week in Iowa?
a) the economy
d) health care
2. Thousands of East Africans hired by American companies contracted to offer support services to the U.S.-led military missions in Iraq and Afghanistan are probably taking these jobs because
a) they believe in the U.S. mission in Iraq
b) the salaries are considerably higher than those earned by security forces in their own countries
c) they would like to enter the U.S. military
d) they are forced to take the jobs by their governments
3. The main purpose of the Vietnam Human Rights Act, passed in the House this week, is to persuade the Vietnamese government to improve its record on:
a) rights of women
b) religious freedom
c) workers’ rights
d) overall human rights
4. Iranian President Ahmadinejad has angered Americans by saying that while in New York City for the U.N. general assembly, he plans to visit
a) Ground Zero
b) City Hall
c) the Holocaust Museum
d) Central Park
5. The Foreign Minister of which country has called for intense negotiations with Tehran to avoid the alternative solutions of “the Iranian bomb or the bombing of Iran”?
a) United States
DIRECTIONS: (7 points each) Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true.
6. _______________ Vietnam was removed this year from the U.S.’s “Countries of Particular Concern” (CPC) list.
7. _______________ All of the Republican candidates for president believe that there should be a definite timetable for troop withdrawal from Iraq.
8. _______________ The Kenyans being hired by U.S. civilian companies working in Iraq have had no previous experience with firearms.
9. _______________ The northern area of Iraq is also known by the name of Kurdistan.
10. _______________ French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said in a speech in Washington this week that the international community must be prepared for any and all steps – including war – to stop Iran’s drive to acquire nuclear weapons.
DIRECTIONS: (5 points each) Name the political party to which each of the following presidential candidates belongs:
11. _______________ Sen. Tom Tancredo
12. _______________ Sen. Chris Dodd
13. _______________ Gov. Bill Richardson
14. _______________ former Gov. Mike Huckabee
15. _______________ Sen. Joe Biden
16. _______________ former Sen. Fred Thompson