“Answers by Email” resumes September 4th.
(This week’s Friday’s News Quiz Answers will be posted at the bottom of this page on Monday afternoon.)
1. Which of the following is not a major reason for the impending shortage of commercial airline pilots?
a) a number of pilots certified to fly commercial planes are deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan
b) a large number of pilots are reaching mandatory retirement age or taking early-retirement packages
c) pilots are leaving the profession due to the hassles of going through airport security on their way to work
d) competition from overseas carriers
2. In what way is Congress misusing homeland security grants secured for their states?
a) they are giving lucrative contracts to business associates
b) they are including pork-barrel projects in the grants
c) they are earmarking most of the funds for personal security guards
d) they are using the grants to pay back political favors
3. Venezuela’s National Assembly has given initial approval that will end term limits for:
a) the office of President
b) the offices of all Assembly members
c) the offices of President and all Assembly members
d) all elected leaders in Venezuela
4. An audit by the Social Security inspector general showed that federal, state and local governments are among the largest employers of
a) people using non-work Social Security numbers
b) people living in the U.S. illegally
c) legal immigrants authorized to work in the U.S.
5. According to the updated National Intelligence Estimate:
a) there is a growing instability in Iraq
b) there is a growing stability in Iraq
c) conditions have stayed the same in Iraq since the surge began
d) none of the above
1. c) pilots are leaving the profession due to the hassles of going through airport security on their way to work
2. b) they are including pork-barrel projects in the grants
3. a) the office of President
4. a) people using non-work Social Security numbers
5. b) there is a growing stability in Iraq