“Answers by Email” resumes September 4th.
(This week’s Friday’s News Quiz Answers will be posted at the bottom of this page on Monday afternoon.)
1. Which leader threatened this week to aim nuclear missiles at European cities in response to U.S. plans to install interceptor missiles in Poland and a radar station in the Czech Republic?
a) Kim Jong-Il of North Korea
b) Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran
c) Vladimir Putin of Russia
d) Hu Jintao of China
2. During a Democratic presidential debate this week, why did Gov. Richardson of New Mexico call for a boycott of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing?
a) to protest the Chinese government’s forced displacement of 1.5 million citizens to make way for Olympic villages
b) to protest the Chinese government’s human rights record in prohibiting free speech
c) to protest the Chinese government’s persecution of Christians practicing their faith
d) to protest the Chinese government’s slow response to the genocide in Darfur
3. What event from WWII was commemmorated this week on June 6?
a) V-E Day
c) V-J Day
d) the Treaty of Versailles
4. Approximately how many Afghan refugees did the Iranian government force out of their country in the past month?
5. Russia has proposed that the U.S. use __________ as an alternative site to Poland and the Czech Republic for a U.S. missile-defense system.
1. c) Vladimir Putin of Russia
2. d) to protest the Chinese government’s slow response to the genocide in Darfur
3. b) D-Day
4. c) 100,000
5. d) Azerbaijan