PART 1. Match the following world leaders mentioned in the Daily News Articles this week with the countries they govern:
1. __________________ Robert Mugabe
2. __________________ Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
3. __________________ Donald Tusk
4. __________________ Vaclav Klaus
5. __________________ Angela Merkel
6. __________________ Vladimir Putin
7. __________________ Dmitry Medvedev
8. __________________ Bertie Ahern
9. __________________ Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
10. __________________ Dalai Lama
e) The Czech Republic
PART 2. Circle the correct answer:
(There are 2 questions from each of this week’s articles.)
11. Critics believe that Robert Mugabe’s regime has a long record of running free and fair elections/fixing election results.
12. Robert Mugabe’s party generally wins the majority of votes in rural/urban areas of the country.
13. Tibetan advocacy groups want President Bush to boycott the Olympic Games/the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Beijing this year.
14. Tibetans are hoping to force the Chinese government to address the issue of human rights/unemployment in Tibet by bringing world attention to their plight through the Olympics.
15. Vladimir Putin/George Bush strongly supports inviting Ukraine and Georgia to join NATO.
16. The U.S./Russia is not a member of NATO.
17. Prime Minister Bertie Ahern was known for record economic growth/creating a financial crisis while in office.
18. Prime Minister Ahern resigned in the wake of an inquiry into his incompetence/financial corruption while in office.
19. The declassified portion of the most recent National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) stated that in the Fall of 2003, Iran halted/expanded its nuclear weapons program.
20. Intelligence officials are now stressing that Iran is continuing to work on aspects of a nuclear weapons/nuclear energy program.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.