1. The Department of Homeland Security confirmed the final date this week for states to fully implement the REAL ID Act of 2005 to:
2. The REAL ID Act of 2005 mandates that states comply with a set of federal standards for
a) driver’s licenses
b) hiring procedures
c) social security benefits
3. China is making plans to put a gas pipeline through Burma that will do all but _________
a) cut down on shipping costs
b) diminish China’s reliance on the Straits of Malacca
c) double the amount of oil China purchases from the Middle East
d) cut short the journey the ships carring the crude oil must take
4. China’s planned pipeline through Burma will make U.S. sanctions against ______ ineffective.
a) the Burmese monks
b) China’s president
c) the Tibetan monks
d) the ruling junta
5. Poland’s recently elected Prime Minister is demanding that the U.S. give Poland hundreds of millions of dollars for ___________ in exchange for allowing the U.S. to put interceptor missiles in Poland.
a) the Polish university system
b) the Polish military
c) nuclear weapons
d) visas to the U.S.
6. The stated purpose of the Ballistic Missile Defense system to be built in Poland and the Czech Republic is to:
a) protect the United States and Israel against a ballistic missile attack from the Middle East
b) protect Europe and the U.S. against a ballistic missile attack from the Middle East
c) have a base from which to attack Iran
d) protect the United States against a ballistic missile attack from the Middle East
7. The Tamil Tigers are a rebel group that have been fighting for an independent state in
c) Sri Lanka
8. In an attack which took place on the final day of a six-year ceasefire, which one of the following acts are the Tamil Tiger rebels not accused of committing?
a) gunning down fleeing passengers
b) attacking a troop of soldiers who were attacking them
c) bombing a civilian bus
d) attacking farmers as they retreated into the bush
9. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his “I Have a Dream” speech in
10. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his “I Have a Dream” speech at
a) the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C.
b) the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.
c) the Statue of Liberty in New York City
d) the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C.