1. A federal judge denied bail to former American Airlines mechanic Abdul-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani last week over possible links to the Islamic State (ISIS). Prosecutors presented this as evidence:
a) Alani has a history of statements wishing harm to non-Muslims
b) he has a brother with possible ties to ISIS
c) he failed to disclose to arresting authorities that he traveled to Iraq in March
d) he has videos on his cellphone depicting murders committed by ISIS militants
e) all of the above
2. Alani told investigators that he sabotaged the plane over a labor dispute between the mechanics union and the airline. After prosecutors presented the evidence, in denying bail the judge said all but which one of the following:
a) “You may be very sympathetic to terrorists. That’s very disconcerting”
b) ”it is likely you will be convicted”
c) Alani’s ability to travel abroad factored into her decision
d) “I am worried about my own safety when flying”
3. _______________ recently announced that the government will evacuate hundreds of its citizens from South Africa following multiple violent attacks on foreign nationals living there.
c) Saudi Arabia
4. A 2018 survey found that 62% of South Africans view African immigrants as “a burden” on the country “because they take jobs and social benefits.” The poll also showed that 61% of South Africans believe immigrants are more to blame for the nation’s _______________ than other groups.
d) none of the above
5. In his address to the UN General Assembly this week, _______________ told world leaders, “The future does not belong to globalists. The future belongs to patriots. The future belongs to sovereign and independent nations who protect their citizens, respect their neighbors, and honor the differences that make each country special and unique.”
a) French President Emmanuel Macron
b) U.S. President Donald Trump
c) Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi
d) Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
6. In his address to the UN, President Trump spoke of the new program of “National Renewal,” in which he is doing the following:
a) implementing a campaign to reform international trade
b) implementing pro-growth economic policies, including massive tax cuts and regulations cuts
c) using America’s vast energy abundance
d) all of the above
e) none of the above
7. In addressing the issue of illegal immigration during his speech at the UN, President Trump told _______________ “…You are empowering criminal organizations that prey on innocent men, women, and children. You put your own false sense of virtue before the lives and well-being of countless innocent people. When you undermine border security, you are undermining human rights and human dignity.”
a) illegal immigrants
b) Republicans in Congress
d) open border activists
8. Which of the following statements did President Trump make about illegal immigration?
a) “Mass illegal migration is unfair, unsafe, and unsustainable for everyone involved.”
b) “The migrants themselves are exploited, assaulted, and abused by vicious coyotes.
c) “The receiving countries are overburdened with more migrants than they can responsibly accept.”
d) all of the above
e) none of the above
9. The U.S. Constitution gives _______________ the authority to impeach and remove “The President, Vice President, and all civil officers of the United States” upon a determination that such officers have engaged in treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.
a) the American people
b) the U.S. military
d) the Supreme Court
10. Trump opponents are calling for impeachment after an anonymous whistleblower accused President Trump of threatening to withhold military aid to Ukraine unless the Ukrainian president opened a corruption investigation into former VP Joe Biden’s son’s business dealings with a Ukrainian energy company. President Trump released the transcript of the conversation. In it:
a) he threatened to withhold U.S. aid just as the whistleblower said
b) he did not threaten to withhold U.S. aid
c) neither a) nor b)
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.