DIRECTIONS: Decide whether the bolded section is true or false. Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false bolded statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ On September 11, 2001, Islamist terrorists from al Qaeda hijacked four passenger jets, crashing two into the Twin Towers in NYC, one into the Pentagon and one into a field in Shanksville, PA. Close to 3,000 innocent people were killed on 9/11.
2. __________________ Fifteen of the nineteen 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.
3. __________________ In an election surprise Sunday, Sweden’s socialist “Sweden Democrats” party won almost 20% of the vote; the other two coalition parties led by establishment left and right parties – each won 40% of the vote.
4. __________________ The Sweden Democrats ran on the issues of crime and the huge influx of immigrants allowed into the country. In 2015, Sweden, a country of 10.1 million people, took in more than 1,600 asylum-seekers – many of who did not qualify for asylum status.
5. __________________ Five terrorists who plotted the 9/11 attacks still have not faced trial. They were arraigned in 2008, but President Obama suspended the case after entering office; his Attorney General Eric Holder then attempted to move the case to federal criminal court in New York City but abandoned the plan later.
6. __________________ Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the suspected mastermind of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks admitted to those attacks and numerous others during a U.S. military hearing in March 2007. In a statement from him, read by a U.S. military representative, he said, “I was responsible for the 9/11 operation, from A to Z.”
7. __________________ In the days before Hurricane Florence was to make landfall, North Carolina’s farmers were racing to harvest as much of their crops as possible. Agriculture, valued at $87 billion, is North Carolina’s No. 10 industry.
8. __________________ In addition to crops, North Carolina farmers raise approximately 10% of the nation’s swine, chickens and turkeys.
9. __________________ Democrats expected to gain control of the House in the November elections because the party of a newly elected president has historically lost seats in Congress in the following midterm election.
10. __________________ One factor that could affect the outcome of the midterms is the strong rise in unemployment – especially in battleground districts – over the past year.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.