DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ Joplin High School opened this week for the new school year after the building was destroyed by a tornado at the end of May.
2. __________________ Until a new high school can be built, Joplin High School classes are being held in an empty office building.
3. __________________Government officials in Beijing announced this week, just days before the start of the school year, that over 20 private schools are facing closure.
4. __________________Families without a Beijing hukou (household registration) have a difficult time accessing public education for their children.
5. __________________ The memorial to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. officially opens Sunday, August 28th, which is the 48th anniversary of Dr. King’s “I have a dream” speech.
6. __________________ The King Memorial, located on the National Mall in Washington, DC, was carved by an African American sculptor from Alabama.
7. __________________ The day after rebels took control of Moammar Gadhafi’s compound in the capital city of Tripoli, pro-regime loyalists throughout the city laid down their arms and surrendered.
8. __________________ Libyan rebel leaders have offered a reward of over $1 million for the capture of Col. Gadhafi.
9. __________________ The U.S. government is concerned about Gadhafi’s huge stockpile of weapons, especially shoulder-fired missiles, getting into the hands of terrorists.
10. __________________The U.S. government has used satellite and aircraft surveillance for decades to monitor known missile and nuclear facilities all over the world, including those in Lybia.
NOTE: “Answers by Email” will resume for the new school year on September 6th. Answers to this quiz will be posted below on Monday afternoon (8/29).
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.
2. false – replace “office building” with “department store in a shopping mall”
5. true (or false – it was scheduled for Aug. 28th, but postponed because of Hurricane Irene)
6. false – replace “an African American sculptor from Alabama” with “a Chinese sculptor from Communist China”
7. false – replace “laid down their arms and surrendered” “continued to fight”