–This is the last quiz of the school year. Posting will resume at the end of August.
–“Answers” emails have ended for the school year. You will begin receiving “Answers” emails again on Sept. 3rd.
–Answers to this quiz will be posted here on Monday at the bottom of the page.
1. China’s new first lady Peng Liyuan, who is a popular singer with the People’s Liberation Army, is known in China for her:
a) style and fashion sense
b) reserved personality
c) military demeanor
d) outspoken views on women’s rights
2. China’s Communist Party leaders are hoping that Peng Liyuan, China’s new first lady, can help transform their country’s international image and boost China’s soft power. Soft power is:
a) The policy of creating “Peace through strength”
b) The ability to “speak softly and carry a big stick”
c) A persuasive approach to international relations, typically involving the use of economic or cultural influence.
d) A policy of “Mutual assured destruction”
3. In an effort to block its citizens from reading about the government massacre of peaceful protesters in 1989, the Chinese government this week censored search terms on a popular Chinese website that included all but:
a) “that year”
d) “rubber ducky”
4. The Chinese government’s deadly crackdown on pro-democracy protesters on June 4, 1989 took place in Beijing’s:
a) Tiananmen Square
b) Red Square
c) Ho Chi Min Trail
d) Forbidden City
5. In a major victory for law enforcement agencies, the Supreme Court ruled this week that police can take a ____________ from someone who has been arrested and charged but not convicted of a serious crime.
b) DNA sample
c) iris scan
d) full body scan
6. Justice ________________, a conservative, joined Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan, all from the liberal wing of the court, in dissenting from the decision.
a) Antonin Scalia
b) Samuel Alito
c) Stephen Breyer
d) Clarence Thomas
7. It was announced on Wednesday that first lady Michelle Obama would not be joining her husband in attending a two-day meeting in California with China’s newly appointed president Xi Jinping and his wife Peng Liyuan because:
a) Mrs. Obama does not like Chinese food
b) Mrs. Obama did not realize Mrs. Peng would be attending the summit
c) it is the last week of the school year for the Obamas’ daughters
d) Mrs. Obama will be on vacation with her daughters
8. The summit between President Obama and China’s President Xi has been billed by the White House as all but:
a) a way of deepening personal relations between the two leaders
b) an opportunity for the two presidents to relax and play golf together
c) an opportunity of developing a mechanism to avoid the “historic inevitability” of a clash between rising and sitting super powers
d) an “unprecedented” opportunity to heal divisions between the world two biggest economies
9. The British newspaper The Guardian was the first to report this week that the NSA has been collecting _______________ daily.
a) phone records of every Muslim extremist living in the U.S.
b) phone records of anyone who belongs to a Tea Party group
c) phone records of millions of Verizon customers
d) DNA samples
10. Those most likely to oppose the Obama administration’s gathering of phone records are:
a) privacy advocates
c) Muslim associations
d) the phone company
1. a) style and fashion sense
2. c) A persuasive approach to international relations, typically involving the use of economic or cultural influence.
3. d) “rubber ducky”
4. a) Tiananmen Square
5. b) DNA sample
6. a) Antonin Scalia
7. c) it is the last week of the school year for the Obamas’ daughters
8. b) an opportunity for the two presidents to relax and play golf together
9. c) phone records of millions of Verizon customers
10. a) privacy advocates
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.