DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ Memorial Day was first enacted to honor those who died on D-Day in Normandy.
2. __________________ The National Moment of Remembrance, established by Congress in 2000, asks Americans, wherever they are at 3 p.m., local time, on Memorial Day, to pause in an act of national unity for a duration of one minute to honor those who died in service to the United States. The idea for the Moment was born when children touring the Nation’s Capital were asked by the Commission’s Director what Memorial Day means. They responded, “That’s the day the pool opens.”
3. __________________ A high school freshman was awarded first place for his new method to detect colon cancer at this year’s Intel International Science and Engineering Fair.
4. __________________ 15 year-old Jack Andraka’s cancer test will be on the market by the end of the summer.
5. __________________ Security experts said this week that a highly sophisticated computer virus called Snake is infecting computers in Iran and other Middle Eastern countries.
6. __________________ The computer virus may have been deployed at least five years ago to engage in state-sponsored cyber espionage; Iran has accused Israel and the U.S. of being responsible for the virus.
7. __________________ The Polish government is asking for more than an expression of regret from the White House spokesman for President Obama’s mischaracterization of a Nazi Holocaust site as a “Polish death camp” during the Presidential Medal of Freedom awards ceremony.
8. __________________ The Polish government opposes descriptions of former concentration camps as “Polish” because it says the term — even if used simply as a geographical indicator — can give the impression that Poland bore responsibility for Nazi Germany’s World War II genocide.
9. __________________ The prices of diesel fuel and natural gas have contributed to some trucking companies’ decision to switch to natural gas powered trucks.
10. __________________ Long-haul truckers are concerned with the switch from diesel to natural gas because of the unusually large gas tanks needed to hold the natural gas.
NOTE: “Answers by Email” has ended for the summer.
Answers to this quiz will be posted here on Monday–scroll down for answers.
[The last quiz for this school year will be next Friday, June 8th.]
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
1. false – replace “those who died on D-Day in Normandy” with “Union soldiers of the American Civil War” (it was expanded after WWI to include all U.S. men and women who died while in the military service)
3. false – replace “colon” with “pancreatic”
4. false – replace “by the end of the summer” with “in the next 10 years” OR “after several steps which could take up to 10 years”
5. false – replace “Snake” with “Flame”
10. false – replace “unusually large gas tanks needed to hold the natural gas” with “scarcity of natural gas refueling stations”