1. Memorial Day was originally known as:
a) Decoration Day
c) Armistice Day
d) Independence Day
2. Memorial Day is:
a) a day to thank those who serve in our armed forces
b) the first day of summer
c) a day used to remember those brave men and women fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan
d) a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation’s service
3. The date of D-Day was _________________
a) June 6, 1944
b) Dec 7, 1941
c) June 6, 1941
d) November 11, 1944
4. On D-Day allied troops from which country did not land on the beaches of Normandy?
b) the United States
c) Great Britain
5. The Israeli military commandoes who landed on the Turkish ship Mavi Marmara this week:
a) were attacked with metal rods and knives by the humanitarian activists on board
b) were attempting to kill all of the humanitarian activists on board
c) were immediately given control of the ship by the captain
d) attacked the unarmed civilians on board without provocation
6. Under the Israeli military code Purity of Arms, troops do all but which one?
a) try not to harm noncombatants
b) carefully use their weaponry only to the extent it is needed
c) treat civilians suspected to be associated with the terrorist group Hamas as enemy combatants
d) forces show humanity toward the enemy
7. The intended goal for boycotting BP gas stations is to:
a) hurt BP’s profits
b) hurt the small businessmen who own gas stations that sell BP gas
c) persuade Americans to use ethanol powered cars
d) express anger with the Obama administration
8. Of the approximately _____________ BP filling stations/convenience stores in the United States, the vast majority are independently operated, either by small regional distributors or individual franchise owners.
9. Approximately 120 school districts around the U.S. are moving to a four-day school week as a way to:
a) give teachers a much needed break
b) as a cost-saving method to help fill budget shortfalls
c) to earn extra money by renting out the schools to outside businesses
d) allow parents to spend more time with their kids
10. School districts across the country – mostly ___________________ – are going to a four-day school week.
a) small, rural ones with less than 5,000 students
b) inner city schools
c) large, sprawling suburban ones with more than 25,000 students
d) in wealthy, upper middle class towns
NOTE: “Answers by Email” has ended for the summer–the last quiz will be for week ending June 11th. Answers to this quiz are posted below.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.
1. a) Decoration Day
2. d) a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation’s service
3. a) June 6, 1944
4. a) USSR
5. a) were attacked with metal rods and knives by the humanitarian activists on board
6. c) treat civilians suspected to be associated with the terrorist group Hamas as enemy combatants
7. a) hurt BP’s profits
8. c) 10,000
9. b) as a cost-saving method to help fill budget shortfalls
10. a) small, rural ones with less than 5,000 students