1. Who is the president of Peru?
a) Alan Garcia
b) Evo Morales
c) Alvaro Uribe
d) Gerry Garcia
2. Protests by Amazon indigenous groups in Peru turned violent this week. Why were the groups protesting?
a) they were opposed to government plans to build luxury tourist hotels deep in the Amazon rainforest
b) they were angered by the number of “Save the Rainforest” groups who are permitted to travel through their land making documentaries
c) they were opposed to government plans to develop oil, natural gas and forestry resources
d) they were angered that the government refused to allow them to build several casinos on the edge of the Amazon jungle
3. Why was the MRAP first used in Iraq?
a) to navigate on Iraq’s roads and highways
b) to protect soldiers from the frequent roadside bombs that were causing many injuries
c) as a lightweight vehicle built for speed
d) as a way to transport large numbers of soldiers from one town to another
4. Why wasn’t the MRAP an effective vehicle for Afghanistan?
a) there aren’t as many refueling stations in Afghanistan as there are in Iraq
b) soldiers stationed in Afghanistan had no idea how to operate these vehicles
c) the temperature inside the MRAPs becomes unbearable in the Afghan climate
d) the suspension systems cannot withstand Afghanistan’s unpaved roads and rocky mountain passes
5. Gitmo detainee Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani is to be tried in federal court in New York. Of what terrorist act is he accused?
a) participating in the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania
b) planning the attack on the USS Cole
c) was involved in the first World Trade Center bombing in 1993
d) ran a terrorist training camp in Pakistan
6. The results of a USA Today/Gallup poll last week show that:
a) over 50% of Americans have never heard of Gitmo
b) Americans support closing the Gitmo prison by a 2-1 margin
c) Americans oppose closing the Gitmo prison by a 2-1 margin
d) only 10% of Americans know where Gitmo is
7. The WHO is a public health agency run by:
a) the United States
b) the European Union
c) the United Nations
d) the “Big Three” pharmaceutical companies in the U.S.
8. The U.S. government is reacting to the WHO’s declaration that the Swine Flu is now a pandemic by:
a) placing travel restrictions on U.S. citizens
b) barring all travelers from Asian countries from entering the U.S. for the next six months
c) ordering the quarantine of all pig farms in the U.S.
d) not changing too much, but just continuing on the same measures they have been taking all along
9. Republican leaders in Congress oppose President Obama (and Democrat) plans to reform health care because:
a) they say that government-run health care will raise taxes, ration care and put bureaucrats in charge of a person’s medical decisions
b) they have vowed to oppose every plan the Obama administration proposes over the next four years
c) they do not want Democrats to get credit for such a beneficial program
d) they say the government can do a better job of running our health care companies and it will create competition in the health care industry
10. The Republicans’ Patients’ Choice Act focuses on:
a) giving individuals tax breaks for purchasing their own health care, and taking their health care with them from job to job
b) providing universal coverage for all Americans that is not controlled by the government
c) no new taxes and no spending increases
d) all of the above
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.
NOTE: “Answers by Email” has ended for the summer. Click here to to sign up for “Answers by Email,” which resumes the first week of September.
1. a) Alan Garcia
2. c) they were opposed over government plans to develop oil, natural gas and forestry resources
3. b) to protect soldiers from the frequent roadside bombs that were causing many injuries
4. d) the suspension systems cannot withstand Afghanistan’s unpaved roads and rocky mountain passes
5. a) participated in the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania
6. c) Americans oppose closing the Gitmo prison by a 2-1 margin
7. c) the United Nations
8. d) not changing too much, but just continuing on the same measures they have been taking all along
9. a) they say that government-run health care will raise taxes, ration care and put bureaucrats in charge of a person’s medical decisions
10. d) all of the above