DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ Two New Jersey Muslim men were arrested on Saturday at an airport as they headed to Somalia to seek terror training.
2. __________________ The men arrested, on their way to join terrorist organization al Shabab in Somalia, were illegal immigrants.
3. __________________ After being widely condemned for saying that the Palestinians should get out of Israel, White House correspondent Helen Thomas retired this week.
4. __________________ The 89 year old Mrs. Thomas, who worked for Hearst News Service, joined the White House press corps when Franklin D. Roosevelt was president.
5. __________________ The two candidates who won the Republican primaries for U.S. Senate and governor in California have both served as CEOs of the companies they worked for.
6. __________________ The winners of California’s Republican primaries for U.S. Senate and governor are both women.
7. __________________ The Somali terrorist group al-Shabab has banned citizens from watching the World Cup on TV because the games are too boring.
8. __________________ While al-Shabab hasn’t stated specific consequences for Somalis caught watching the World Cup, they have been known to behead or amputate limbs of people who oppose them.
9. __________________ South Africa’s 190,000 police officers have been placed on standby for the month-long World Cup games in South Africa.
10. __________________ To ensure the safety of fans and players during the World Cup games, South African police will use helicopters, water cannons, bomb-sniffing dogs and military vehicles.
NOTE: “Answers by Email” has ended for the summer–this is the last quiz of the school year. Daily posting and quizzes will resume August 23. Answers to this quiz will be posted below on Monday, June 14.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.