NOTE: Answers by email has ended for the school year. You will begin receiving “Answers” emails again on Sept. 3rd. Answers to this quiz will be posted here on Monday at the bottom of the page. [The last quiz for this school year will be next Friday, June 7th.]
DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ Memorial Day is celebrated every year on May 30th.
2. __________________ Memorial Day is a day to honor those currently serving in the military.
3. __________________ An 18-year-old high-school student won a $50,000 prize last week at an international science fair for creating an energy storage device that can be fully charged in 20 to 30 seconds.
4. __________________ California teen Eesha Khare said she was motivated to work on developing the fast charging device by the prize money offered.
5. __________________ Retail, construction, transportation and trade unions are outraged that ObamaCare, which they used their political muscle to help pass, will increase the cost of medical insurance for all Americans.
6. __________________ Regarding the Affordable Care Act, outgoing Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, a Democrat who helped write the law, has called its implementation a “train wreck.”
7. __________________ A Maine family physician stopped accepting all forms of health insurance this year, and instead asks patients to pay out-of-pocket.
8. __________________ Dr. Ciampi explained his decision would allow him to do what he thinks is right for the patients and that he’s been able to cut his prices in half because his overhead will be so much less.
9. __________________ An Illinois social studies teacher was docked a day’s pay and this week given a formal reprimand after he warned students about their First Amendment rights before answering a school-mandated survey about at-risk behavior.
10. __________________ The school superintendent accused the teacher of “telling students in effect that the adults are not here to help but they are trying to get you to incriminate yourself.”
1. false – replace “May 30th” with “the last Monday in May”
2. false – replace “those currently serving in the military” with “those service men and women who died in conflicts and wars”
4. false – replace “by the prize money offered” with “because her cellphone battery always dies”
5. false – replace “increase the cost of medical insurance for all Americans” with “undermine their multi-employee medical-insurance plans” OR “increase the cost of union members’ health insurance” OR “cause union members to lose their excellent medical insurance plans”
9. false – replace “First Amendment” with “Fifth Amendment”