1. In an interview on “60 Minutes” this week, Professor Alessandro Acquisti of Carnegie Mellon, who researches how technology impacts privacy, demonstrated the use of ____________________ to determine random students’ identities.
b) retinal scans
c) facial recognition software
d) commercial drones
2. The professor took photos of random students and with free software he had downloaded off the internet, he was able to determine their identity and which one of the following pieces of information?
a) the name of the students’ first grade teacher
b) social security information
c) favorite food
3. Tumblr made $13 million in 2012. Yahoo this week signed a deal to purchase Tumblr for _____________________.
a) $1.1 million
b) $13 billion
c) $1.1 billion
d) $113 million
4. The purchase of Tumblr is expected to help Yahoo’s business by reaching ___________________. The deal is expected to increase Yahoo’s audience by 50%.
a) younger users
b) users new to social media
c) corporate users
d) Facebook users
5. Parents of students at the two Moore, OK elementary schools destroyed by Monday’s tornadoes are calling their teachers ________ because their actions saved the lives of students.
6. During and after the tornado, the Moore teachers did all but:
a) use their bodies to shield the children
b) carry students to safety away from the rubble
c) stay with their students for hours until parents arrived
d) scream hysterically and shout ‘we’re going to die’
7. Lois Lerner is the head of the IRS tax-exempt unit. She is at the center of a scandal about the IRS’s targeting of __________________ groups for additional scrutiny.
8. When asked by Congress to testify about what she knew, when she knew it, and who in the IRS is responsible for targeting groups who oppose President Obama’s politics, Lois Lerner, head of the IRS tax-exempt unit:
a) readily appeared and explained everything she knew
b) invoked her Second Amendment rights
c) said she couldn’t answer any questions because she had no knowledge of any wrongdoing by any IRS agents
d) pled the Fifth
9. An attempt is being made to move the observance of Memorial Day back to May 30th so that Americans will:
a) remember the date of Memorial Day every year
b) know which day to schedule their backyard barbecues and pool parties
c) return the solemn meaning back to the day, to make it a day where we actively remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice
d) be able to ask their bosses for the day off from work
10. Suggestions for how Americans should observe Memorial Day include all but:
a) visit cemeteries and place flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes
b) participate in a “National Moment of Remembrance” at 3 p.m. to pause and think upon the true meaning of the day
c) visit military memorials
d) take advantage of Memorial Day sales at the mall
NOTE: “Answers by Email” ends today for the summer.
[The last quiz of the school year will be Friday, June 7th.]
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.