DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true.
1. __________________ Some of the ways Americans should observe Memorial Day include: visiting cemeteries and placing flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes; participating in a “National Moment of Remembrance” by pausing at 3 p.m. to think upon the true meaning of the day.
2. __________________ Memorial Day is a day to honor those who have served or are serving in the military.
3. __________________ The White House chastised CNN this week for an editorial about the president’s position on a proposed update of the GI Bill.
4. __________________ Regarding a revised GI Bill, President Bush has asked Congress to address allowing service members to transfer their GI Bill benefits to their spouses and children, among other benefits.
5. __________________ When meeting with a Burmese general this week, U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon did not ask him to end the unjust house arrest of democracy advocate Aung San Suu Kyi.
6. __________________ Five days after U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said he secured promises from the Burmese Senior General to allow humanitarian aid workers unfettered access to the country’s areas hardest-hit by the typhoon, just 20 aid workers have been allowed into the country.
7. __________________ The city of Philadelphia has raised the Boy Scouts’ rent on the city-owned building they occupy from $1 to $200 a year.
8. __________________ The Boy Scouts Council says the city of Philadelphia has raised their rent because of the Scouts’ membership policies that require scoutmasters to be heterosexuals, and require scouts to pledge to “do their duty to God and country.”
9. __________________ California’s ballot measure to amend the state constitution regarding the “Definition of a Person” will be voted on in the November 4 general election.
10. __________________ Amendment 48, which was approved to be on the state ballot in November, defines a “person” as “any human being from the moment of birth.”
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
“Answers by Email” has ended for the summer. This week’s Quiz answers are below:
2. false – replace “who have served or are serving in the military” with “the American soldiers who gave their lives in war”
3. false – replace “CNN” with “The New York Times”
7. false – replace “$200” to “$20,000”
9. false – replace “California” with “Colorado”
10. false – replace “moment of birth” with “moment of fertilization”