NOTE: “Answers by Email” has ended for the summer. Answers to this quiz will be posted below the questions on Monday afternoon.
Click here to to sign up for “Answers by Email,” which resumes the first week of September.
1. The purpose of Memorial Day is to
a) honor our veterans
b) honor those who fought in WWII
c) honoring the American soldiers who gave their lives in war
d) honor all Americans
2. Which of the following is not suggested as something Americans should do on Memorial Day to honor our fallen soldiers?
a) at 3 p.m. pause and think upon the true meaning of the day
b) fly the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon
c) visit cemeteries and placing flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes
d) invite your friends and family over for a barbeque
3. _________________ have asked the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to suspend use of “whole-body imaging” in airports.
a) TSA screeners
b) privacy advocates
c) terrorist organizations
d) the Obama administration
4. The Department of Homeland Security is being asked to suspend the use of the whole-body imaging machines:
a) until they can be replaced with machines that do not produce pictures of passengers unclothed
b) until they can give a 100% guarantee that passengers’ images will not be compromised in any way
c) until there is no longer a terrorism threat in the U.S.
d) until privacy safeguards are in place
5. The California Supreme Court ruled this week that:
a) the voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage is constitutional
b) the approximately 18,000 gay couples who got married before the law took effect are still married
c) both a) and b)
d) neither a) nor b)
6. Gay rights activists reacted to the California Supreme Court’s ruling by doing/saying all of the following but which one?
a) vowing to go back to voters next year in an attempt to repeal Prop 8
b) vowing to resume their fight
c) rallying outside the courthouse and chanting “shame on you”
d) accepting the ruling of the court and agreeing to settle for civil unions
7. In response to South Korea’s announcement that it will join the U.S.-led initiative to intercept ships suspected of carrying weapons of mass destruction, North Korea:
a) said that it will no longer be bound by the armistice accord with South Korea
b) tested several more nuclear bombs
c) launched several ballistic missiles aimed at Seoul
d) declared war on Japan
8. In response to North Korea’s actions, the UN:
a) is sending troops to destroy North Korea’s nuclear facilities
b) has asked all UN member countries to end all aid to North Korea until its government can prove that they have totally dismantled their nuclear program
c) met this week to being work on a response, which might include more sanctions
d) has threatened to impose sanctions on any country that does business with or gives any type of aid to North Korea, until that country proves that it has dismantled its nuclear program
9. President Obama met with _______________ at the White House this week to discuss Mid-east peace.
a) Mahmoud Abbas
b) Yasser Arafat
c) Benjamin Netanyahu
d) Mark Regev
10. Which one of the following has President Obama insisted must be done (that was stressed by Sect. Clinton) in order to move the peace process forward?
a) Israel must freeze settlement activity
b) the Palestinians must prevent terrorist attacks on Israelis
c) Israel must give the Palestinians more humanitarian aid
d) the Palestinians must give the Israelis more humanitarian aid
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.
1. c) honoring the American soldiers who gave their lives in war
2. d) invite your friends and family over for a barbeque
3. b) privacy advocates
4. d) until privacy safeguards are in place
5. c) both a) and b)
6. d) accepting the ruling of the court and agreeing to settle for civil unions
7. a) said that it will no longer be bound by the armistice accord with South Korea
8. c) met this week to being work on a response, which might include more sanctions
9. a) Mahmoud Abbas
10. a) Israel must stop settlements