DIRECTIONS: Decide whether the bolded section is true or false. Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false bolded statement to make it true.
1. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration this week issued an advisory warning commercial airlines to use caution when flying over the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman. The FAA issued this warning due to potential attacks by Iran.
2. In May, prior to the FAA’s warning, two oil tankers from Ukraine, including one scheduled to deliver oil to the U.S., were attacked by an explosive charge off the coast of UAE. A week later, drones believed to be Iranian targeted equipment of Ukraine’s oil infrastructure — this time oil pumping stations for a major oil pipeline.
3. Queen Elizabeth II invited President Donald Trump and first lady Melania to pay a state visit in June, during their trip to Normandy to commemorate the anniversary of D-Day.
4. During the visit, the president and first lady will attend a ceremony in Portsmouth, England before traveling to Normandy on June 6 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of D-Day.
5. The U.S. Air Force has deployed at least 20 missiles that could zap the military electronics of North Korea or Iran with high-power microwaves. The CHAMP missiles are the first to be able to render an enemy’s military capabilities virtually useless without causing any fatalities.
6. While an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) attack would leave millions of people dead because all utilities and infrastructure would become inoperable, CHAMP missiles differ in that because it is targeted, HPM (high power microwave) leaves intact civilian facilities needed to sustain life.
7. The US Department of Homeland Security issued an alert this week warning that Chinese-made drones may be sending sensitive flight data to their manufacturers in China, where it can be accessed by Google and Facebook there.
8. Close to 8% of the drones used in the US and Canada come from a Chinese company.
9. Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day as a day to honor the soldiers who died in the Civil War. People would decorate graves with flowers, wreaths and flags.
10, Decoration Day was changed to Memorial Day after World War II to include all U.S. men and women who died while in the military service.