DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ Poland’s President Lech Kaczynski along with top Polish political, military and religious leaders died in a plane crash in Russia on Saturday.
2. __________________ The Polish plane was traveling to a memorial ceremony for the thousands of Polish military officers executed by Stalin’s secret police in 1980.
3. __________________ As the new health-care law takes effect across the country experts are predicting that there will be a shortfall of physicians.
4. __________________ The greatest demand will be for doctors who specialize in many different areas of medicine.
5. __________________ A recent study of the big three networks: CNN, Fox News and MSNBC concluded that these stations have demonstrated bias toward the “tea party” movement.
6. __________________ The media outlets displayed bias toward tea-party rallies by first ignoring them, and then maligning them, according to the watchdog organization that conducted the study.
7. __________________ Volcanic ash from an erupting volcano in Thailand has caused air-traffic controllers to close airports in parts of Europe and Scandinavia.
8. __________________ Planes cannot fly through volcanic ash because many pilots are afraid of the dark.
9. __________________ While airlines are losing money due to airport closures, other businesses such as rental-car companies and hotels will benefit from the delays.
10. __________________ The flight disruptions due to volcanic ash have grounded about half of the daily cargo flown between Asia and Europe.