DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement, circle the correct answer. (10 points each)
1. In an interview this week, Reuters’ reporters asked President Trump about a tweet in which he said the U.S. must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capacity “until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes.” President Trump explained that he would like to see a world with no nuclear weapons / millions of nuclear weapons, also saying that “if countries are going to have nukes, we’re going to be at the top of the pack.”
2. New START is the new strategic arms limitation treaty made by President Obama in 2011 between the U.S. and Russia. It requires that by February 5, 2018, both countries must limit their arsenals of strategic nuclear weapons to equal levels for 10 years. President Trump called New START a great deal / a one-sided deal.
3. In his address to a joint session of Congress this week, as with previous presidents / departing from tradition, President Trump outlined his goals for his administration.
4. The Hill reported just before President Trump’s speech that a WSJ/NBC poll determined “Majority thinks media too critical of Trump.” Following the speech, a CBS News poll showed that over 80 percent of people who watched the President’s speech felt it was presidential / unpresidential. A majority of both Republicans and Democrats agreed.
5. It was reported this week that a recent poll by a student loan firm showed that almost half / none of students surveyed believe they will be able to receive federal loan forgiveness on their student loans after graduation.
6. Those who are eligible for student loan forgiveness include those who enter a profession considered to be a public service for a specific period of time. Usually that time period is one year / ten years.
7. Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS), caused by heavy, long-term use of various forms of marijuana causes nausea and vomiting (and abdominal pain). For unclear reasons, these symptoms are relieved by hot showers or baths / increasing marijuana use. The Doctor who did the study said, CHS “is certainly something that, before legalization, we almost never saw. Now we are seeing it quite frequently.”
8. CHS can lead to dehydration and kidney failure. The only cure is to increase marijuana use / stop using marijuana altogether. CHS has only been recognized for about the past decade, and nobody knows exactly how many people suffer from it.
9. More than 100 threats have been made to Jewish schools and community centers in 33 states since January 1st. The number of threats U.S. Jewish organizations have received is unprecedented / not unusual.
10. On Monday, bomb threats / insults were called into 30 Jewish schools and community centers in at least 18 states. The perpetrators used spoofing and voice masking technology to hide their identity. On Wednesday, the Department of Homeland Security Secretary announced that DHS will increase assistance to Jewish Community Centers.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.