1. Sheriff J.E. Guerra of Hidalgo County, Texas, who is a Democrat, expressed concern this week over security at the border, saying:
a) “President Biden needs to dump Trump’s policies”
b) “basically, the border’s open”
c) both a) and b)
d) neither a) nor b)
2. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas admitted during a House Homeland Security Committee hearing on Wednesday that migrants detained at the US-Mexico border for entering the U.S. illegally:
a) have all been sent back to their home countries
b) have been released into the U.S. without first being testing for the coronavirus
c) have been DNA tested to ensure that those who said they were families really were so
d) have not been permitted to enter the U.S.
3. Three nanosatellites developed by Israeli scientists were launched into orbit
from Kazakhstan on Monday. The tiny satellites will keep in perfect formation and will orbit the earth for:
a) 3 days
b) 3 weeks
c) 3 months
d) 3 years
4. The goal for the nanosatellites is to test whether a series of small satellites, instead of a single large satellite, can be used to monitor signals from emergency locator beacons used by ships, planes, explorers and hikers. A specially built fuel system will allow each satellite to complete its mission on less than _______________ of fuel a day.
a) 1 gram
b) 1 liter
c) 1 gallon
d) 1 ton
5. A Texas border town mayor, Bruno Lozano, last month sent a video appeal for help to President Biden over the border crisis and the huge influx of illegal immigrants flooding his town. He said his appeal _______________.
a) fell on deaf ears
b) was answered with immediate assistance
6. Mayor Lozano says the Biden administration is condoning unlawful behavior. He noted, “There’s a lawful way to enter the United States, there’s a lawful way to seek asylum and it just undermines the entire immigration process.” He said, “You have this policy where unlawful entry is being condoned,
criminal activity is being condoned, these migrants are using the cartels to traverse Mexico and that’s a fact and organized criminal activity is rising because of that.” Mayor Lozano is:
a) a Republican
b) an Independent
c) a Democrat
d) a Libertarian
7. The Suez Canal connects the Mediterranean to the Red Sea and provides the shortest sea route between Asia and Europe. Approximately __________ of global trade passes through the Suez Canal.
8. A megaship, which can carry 20,000 20-ft shipping containers, got stuck in the Suez Canal on Tuesday and is blocking all shipping traffic. The Suez Canal Authority said the ship lost the ability to steer due to:
a) a power outage
b) a broken rudder
c) high winds
d) a flood
9. World Down Syndrome Day is celebrated yearly on _______________. The date was selected to signify the uniqueness of the triplication (trisomy) of the 21st chromosome which causes Down syndrome.
a) February 21
b) March 21
c) April 21
d) June 21
10. The Canadian Down Syndrome Society found the most-asked questions about Down syndrome on Google and asked 10 Canadians ______________ to give their answers.
a) who have a child with Down syndrome
b) who have a sibling with Down syndrome
c) who teach students with Down syndrome
d) with Down syndrome
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.