A fact is something that can be verified and backed up with evidence. An opinion is based on a belief or view. It is not based on evidence that can be verified.
DIRECTIONS: Read each statement to determine whether it is a fact or opinion. Write fact or opinion in the blank.
1. __________________ After the health care bill was passed, President Obama said “This is what change looks like.”
2. __________________ Thirty-four Democrats voted with all of the Republicans in the House against passing the health care reform legislation.
3. __________________ Sandstorms in China caused the worst “yellow dust” haze in South Korea this week since 2005.
4. __________________ One of the cuases of sandstorms in China is deforestation.
5. __________________ One of the ways Democrats plan to pay for the new health care bill is to increase the Medicare payroll tax on employee wages and salaries from 1.45% to 2.35% on individuals/couples making over $200,000/$250,000.
6. __________________ The majority of Americans will be very supportive of the new health care law once they understand what’s in it for them.
7. __________________ Republicans in the Senate introduced 30 amendments to the health care bill on Wednesday, only one of which passed.
8. __________________ The new health care bill is a disaster for the country.
9. __________________ In an effort to affect the price of gas, President Obama could open access to more U.S. oil resources, either on land or on the Outer Continental Shelf.
10. __________________ President Obama has done more than any president in the last 30 years to expand energy development.