A fact is something that can be verified and backed up with evidence. An opinion is based on a belief or view. It is not based on evidence that can be verified.
DIRECTIONS: Read each statement to determine whether it is a fact or opinion. Write fact or opinion in the blank.
1. __________________ After the health care bill was passed, President Obama said “This is what change looks like.”
2. __________________ Thirty-four Democrats voted with all of the Republicans in the House against passing the health care reform legislation.
3. __________________ Sandstorms in China caused the worst “yellow dust” haze in South Korea this week since 2005.
4. __________________ One of the cuases of sandstorms in China is deforestation.
5. __________________ One of the ways Democrats plan to pay for the new health care bill is to increase the Medicare payroll tax on employee wages and salaries from 1.45% to 2.35% on individuals/couples making over $200,000/$250,000.
6. __________________ The majority of Americans will be very supportive of the new health care law once they understand what’s in it for them.
7. __________________ Republicans in the Senate introduced 30 amendments to the health care bill on Wednesday, only one of which passed.
8. __________________ The new health care bill is a disaster for the country.
9. __________________ In an effort to affect the price of gas, President Obama could open access to more U.S. oil resources, either on land or on the Outer Continental Shelf.
10. __________________ President Obama has done more than any president in the last 30 years to expand energy development.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.