DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement, circle the correct answer.
1. This spring, a brood of periodical cicadas – the “Big Brood” – is set to emerge from underground in fifteen states / three states across the Southern U.S. and along the East Coast.
2. The Brood X emergence is significant because it is periodical, and due to the vast numbers that will appear. This is the first time in three years / seventeen years that these cicadas will appear.
3. Ten years ago, a catastrophic disaster occurred in Japan: an earthquake, followed by a tsunami, which then triggered a volcanic eruption / nuclear meltdown.
4. The disaster in Japan on March 11, 2011 resulted in the destruction of 120,000 buildings and the deaths of almost 2,000 / 20,000 people.
5. Iwo Jima is a small island 745 miles south of Tokyo. It was the first native Japanese soil to be invaded during the Allied advance during WWII. In thirty-six days of fighting on the island, nearly 7,000 / 70,000 U.S. Marines were killed. Another 20,000 were wounded. Iwo Jima was one of the bloodiest battles in Marine Corps history.
6. The most well-known photo of WWII is that of six U.S. marines kneeling in protest during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner on Iwo Jima / raising a U.S. flag on Mount Suribachi on Feb. 23, 1945.
7. The purpose of President Biden’s “Help is Here” / “I’m from the government and I’m here to help” tour is to promote his just-signed $1.9 trillion COVID-19 stimulus bill (the American Rescue Plan) to the American people.
8. In his first stop at Smith Flooring in Chester, PA, President Biden said the $400 / $1,400 checks sent to 100 million Americans will “change their lives.”
9. After outdoor dining re-opened, the city of Burbank in Texas / California asked a court to issue a temporary restraining order against a restaurant that chose not to close during mandatory Covid closures.
10. The superior court judge issued the restraining order which allowed the city to force the business to close and later gave the city the power to disconnect the electricity and then reimburse the business for all of the lost revenue / padlock the doors of the business.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.