1. Monday’s Daily News Article was a human interest news story. Human interest stories take a break from the more serious news material to highlight:
a) something serious that affects humans
b) a story that all humans would find interesting
c) a story about someone excelling in sports through adversity
d) something unusual and often something inspiring
2. An Arkansas high school student worked part-time at a local car mechanic shop to save money to buy his friend an electric wheelchair. It took him __________ to save enough money.
a) 2 years
b) 2 months
c) 2 weeks
d) 2 days
3. At least 21 people died in Venezuela as a result of the world’s longest nationwide blackout there. Venezuela’s socialist President Maduro has blamed __________ for the blackout, telling supporters at a rally Saturday that the nation’s electric grid had been sabotaged.
d) the U.S.
4. The real reason for the country-wide power outage in Venezuela is:
a) 50 countries calling on Maduro to step down as the election was not legitimate
b) poor maintenance and corruption on the part of the Socialist government
c) both a) and b)
d) neither a) nor b)
5. School administrators implemented a policy banning __________ after two parents did so in the same week.
a) Uber Eats deliveries
b) parents dropping off lunch for their kids
c) parents having lunch with their kids in the cafeteria
d) all of the above
6. Administrators said allowing the deliveries to continue at the office would cause a disruption and that deliveries by unknown drivers:
a) are awkward because the office doesn’t know how much to tip them
b) creates security concerns
c) angers school bus drivers who wanted to make extra money as the delivery drivers during their lunch hour
d) none of the above
7. President Trump is pushing a plan to require allies with U.S. troops stationed in their countries to:
a) invite troops into their homes on Thanksgiving
b) reduce the size of their militaries
c) bear more of the cost for hosting the troops
d) participate in joint military drills with the U.S.
8. Ally countries with larger U.S. bases and military populations include: Germany, England, Japan, Italy, Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain. Germany currently pays __________ of the cost of US troops stationed there.
a) 2 percent
b) 12 percent
c) 28 percent
d) 82 percent
9. A recent study found that the percentage of U.S. teens and young adults reporting mental distress, depression and suicidal thoughts and actions has risen significantly over the past decade. Researchers determined a main cause for the huge increse in numbers to be:
a) the rise in smartphone and social media use
b) too much homework
c) economic challenges
d) students who don’t own smart phones
10. Research showed that it is not just using the phone or social media itself, but it is _______________ that contributes to a greater risk of depressive symptoms.
a) the quality of the phone
b) which social media platform they use
c) the amount of time teens and young adults spend with it
d) all of the above