DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ When surveyed, approximately 1% precent of female Marines who had planned to stay beyond their current commitment say they wold not stay if women were put in combat roles involuntarily.
2. __________________ One of the top concerns female Marines have about the policy change that will allow women to serve in combat roles is: they worry that they would not have the physical ability to do a full-time ground combat job.
3. __________________ Brendan Marrocco, U.S. Army infantryman who lost all four limbs in a 2009 roadside explosion in Iraq has had successful surgery — a rare double arm transplant – which doctors say will eventually allow him to regain almost the full use of his hands.
4. __________________ To help Brendan’s body accept the new arms, lead surgeon Dr. Lee used a bone-marrow procedure which he pioneered and has had favorable results in five other transplant patients.
5. __________________ The first federal income tax was adopted in the U.S. in 1861. People paid a flat 3% tax on annual income of more than $800 (just under $20,000 in today’s dollars) at that time.
6. __________________ The 14th amendment to the Constitution turned 100 this month. It reads: The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census or enumeration.
7. __________________ The U.S. Postal Service has announced that beginning this summer it will end all delivery on Saturdays.
8. __________________ The post office lost $3 billion last year. Saturday delivery cuts will save $2 billion each year.
9. __________________ The Board of Education for Prince Georges County, Maryland, has proposed a policy that would allow the Board of Ed to hold the copyright for work created for school by staff and students.
10. __________________ If approved, the Board of Ed’s proposal would make work created for the school by employees during their own time and using their own materials the school system’s property.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.