DIRECTIONS: For the true/false, write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ 2013 marks the 150th anniversary of Rev. Martin Luther King’s “I Have A Dream” speech.
2. __________________ In his famous speech at the Lincoln Memorial, Dr. King urged African Americans while working for equal rights to refrain from bitterness, hatred and violence.
3. __________________ During his second inauguration speech President Obama said all of the following:
“our journey is not complete until our wives, our mothers and daughters can earn a living equal to their efforts”
“our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law”
“our journey is not complete until no citizen is forced to wait for hours to exercise the right to vote”
4. __________________ During a church service he was attending with his family on the morning of his inauguration, President Obama tweeted: “Get her done.”
5. __________________ The TSA has announced it will discontinue using controversial backscatter scanners at airports because travelers had health and privacy concerns about the use of such machines.
6. __________________ The TSA has agreed to never use backscatter scanners at airports again.
7. __________________ During a meeting with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, President Obama got Karzai to agree to allow U.S. troops running the ALP program to stay in local villages until they felt the job was done.
8. __________________ U.S. coalition forces established the ALP program in Afghanistan as part of the counterinsurgency campaign to protect Afghan citizens in rural areas.
9. __________________ The Pentagon is lifting its ban on women serving in combat and will begin allowing female service members to hold any jobs for which they qualify, including special operations, over the next few years.
10. __________________ The Pentagon’s ban prevented women from serving in the infantry, special operations forces and other units that would put them in direct combat situations.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.