DIRECTIONS: Circle the correct bolded answer for each question.
1. __________________ On Tuesday, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a digital rights watchdog, asked the Federal Trade Commission to investigate Google’s / Apple’s popular Apps for Education service, alleging that it violates the company’s pledge to restrict its use of student data.
2. __________________ The company is one of many that signed the Student Privacy Pledge, in which companies agreed to collect, store or use student data only for educational / advertising purposes.
3. __________________ The USS Zumwalt, the largest aircraft carrier / destroyer ever built for the U.S. Navy, headed out to sea for the first time Monday, where the ship will undergo sea trials. It is named after Admiral Elmo Zumwalt, the youngest man to serve as Chief of the Navy’s Naval Operations.
4. __________________ The ship has electric propulsion, new radar and sonar, powerful missiles and guns, and a stealthy design to reduce its radar signature / carbon footprint. Advanced automation will allow the warship to operate with a much smaller crew size than current ships of this kind.
5. __________________ Donald Trump announced a proposal this week to ban Middle Easterners / Muslims from entering the U.S. He said the plan was necessary in the wake of last week’s California terrorist attack by two Muslims who authorities said were radicalized. He justified his proposal by saying, “We have no choice but to do this. We have people that want to blow up our buildings, our cities. We have figure out what’s going on.”
6. __________________ Trump said, “Until we can get our hands around the situation, we have to do something and we have to do it now.” Fellow Republicans publicly opposed Trump’s proposal. Democratic presidential candidates used words like
racist, fascist, xenophobic and reprehensible / sensible to describe Trump’s proposal.
7. __________________ Harvard researchers recently released results of a study in which they tested the 51 leading types of flavored e-cigs and liquids. Diacetyl, a flavoring chemical used to make the smoke from e-cigarettes taste good was found in more than 75 percent / 100 percent of the flavored e-cigs and refill liquids that they tested.
8. __________________ Diacetyl is linked to cases of severe respiratory disease / insomnia. In addition to diacetyl, researchers found two other highly hazardous chemicals, acetoin and 2,3-pentanedione in e-cigs and refill liquids.
9. __________________ Travis Mills is one of five double / quadruple amputees to survive the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Following his injuries, Travis’ message is: ”Never give up. Never quit. Find your motivation. Find your goals. And keep moving.”
10. __________________ Since he completed rehabilitation, Travis has been delivering motivational speeches, helping other wounded warriors through his foundation and written a book, “Tough As They Come.” He’s happy to be able to provide hope / pity to others.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.