1. The FDA issued a warning last week that the cannabis ingredient CBD – which is marketed as a cure all for ailments including pain and anxiety, without getting people high – can cause __________, among other dangers. (CHOOSE 3)
a) gastrointestinal distress
b) changes in mood
c) liver damage
d) auto accidents
2. The FDA issued the warning over concern “that people may mistakenly believe that trying CBD ‘can’t hurt,’” the consumer alert said. The alert was the FDA’s first warning ever about the potential health risks of CBD-infused products like lotions and beverages — raising concerns that the agency could crack down on the substance despite __________ removing it from a list of illegal substances last year.
b) the American Vaping Association
c) the National Association of Chiefs of Police
3. President Trump met with representatives of at least a dozen nations, including Germany, France, Italy and Denmark, at NATO’s 70th anniversary meeting in London this week. Which two countries did President Trump discuss with NATO leaders, as the biggest threat to NATO?
a) Canada and France
b) Iran and North Korea
c) Russia and China
d) China and Iran
4. For a long time, the 29 NATO member countries were not paying their fair share of the NATO budget, despite each member nation agreeing to spend 2 percent of GDP on defense. Following President Trump’s insistence that all pay their fair share, eight European countries are now on track to meet their obligation this year. The majority of member states say they will hit the 2 percent threshold by 2024.
One exception is __________, the largest European country in NATO which also has the strongest economy. It will spend just 1.35 percent on defense this year, saying they should hit 2 percent around 2031.
a) Great Britain
5. The LAPD is testing a new device to help detain individuals without __________. The tool, called the BolaWrap 100, fires a Kevlar cord that ensnares an individual’s body to restrict mobility, giving officers seconds to swarm the person without using more drastic measures such as a Taser or gun.
a) getting out of their police car
b) having to read them their rights
c) having just cause
d) using force
6. Police officers would use the BolaWrap: CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS
a) when confronting suspects with knives or other firearms
b) when a person is unarmed or suffers from mental illness
c) when confronting suspects with firearms
d) when confronting suspects with hostages
7. During the House impeachment hearings on Wednesday, four legal experts (all Democrats) were called to testify as to whether President Trump’s refusal to comply with congressional subpoenas in the impeachment inquiry is grounds for an obstruction case.
The Democrats called three of the witnesses, while the Republicans were allowed to call one witness. The witness for the Republicans, Law Professor Jonathan Turley, said Democrats’ attempts to go after Trump for fighting the subpoenas in court was:
a) a congressional abuse of power
b) a brilliant move
c) a petty thing to do
d) totally justifiable
8. The three legal and constitutional scholars called by the Democrats each made cases about:
a) why they were the most qualified legal experts in the country
b) why they think impeaching the president is justified
c) their intense personal dislike of the president
d) why they think impeaching the president is not justified
9. One of the last remaining USS Arizona survivors received a hero’s welcome when he arrived in Honolulu on Tuesday to attend the Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day commemoration. Lou Conter is:
a) 90 years old
b) 88 years old
c) 98 years old
d) 108 years old
10. On making the trip to Pearl Harbor, Mr. Conter said, “I always come out to pay respect for the 2,403 men that were killed that day, including 1,177 of my shipmates on the Arizona.” A documentary is being made about Mr. Conter’s life as a way to:
a) preserve history and teach young people the stories of the men who were there
b) make a lot of money
c) neither a) nor b)
d) both a) and b)
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.