DIRECTIONS: For the bolded part of each statement write TRUE or FALSE next to the statement, then rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ The Medal of Honor is the highest military decoration awarded by the United States government. It is bestowed on members of the military who distinguish themselves through “conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his or her life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States.”
2. __________________ Army Capt. Florent Groberg was awarded the Medal of Honor last week for his acts of extraordinary heroism: he jumped on a hand grenade, protecting the colonel he was guarding from being killed.
3. __________________ CIA Director John Brennan warned this week that the terrorist attacks in Paris by the Islamic State movement were a not a “one-off event” and that the militants may have similar operations ready to launch.
4. __________________ In a new video this week, al Qaeda threatened to strike Washington D.C.
5. __________________ Republican governors in more than 25 states announced this week that they wouldn’t allow Syrian refugees into their states and at the same time are also appealing for stronger control of U.S. borders.
6. __________________ The governors took this step following reports that one of the terrorists involved in the Paris attacks entered Europe as part of the wave of Syrian refugees fleeing civil war.
7. __________________ Senators learned that the terrorists in the Paris attacks most likely used extensively encrypted communications because no direct communication among the terrorists was detected.
8. __________________ Since the terrorist attacks on 9/11, the public and policymakers have swung between emphasizing the need for security agencies to have access to data, and protecting personal privacy. Following the terrorist attacks in Paris last week, signs suggest they could push support back toward privacy over security.
9. __________________ For 2016 health insurance plans, insurers have lowered premiums steeply for the most popular plans at the same time they have decreased out-of-pocket costs such as deductibles, copays and coinsurance in many of their offerings.
10. __________________ Middle-class Americans – people who don’t qualify for subsidies under the health law – will be most affected by the increased premiums.
NOTE: Look for special Thanksgiving quiz next week. “Friday’s News Quiz” will resume Friday, Dec. 4.