DIRECTIONS: Decide whether the bolded section is true or false. Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false bolded statement to make it true.
1. __________________ Veterans Day was celebrated on Monday. It is officially observed every year on the second Monday in November to honor America’s veterans for their service and sacrifice.
2. __________________ Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day, which was a day set aside to honor veterans of World War II. In 1954, Congress changed the name from Armistice Day to Veterans Day.
3. __________________ The Chinese government has imposed limitations on gaming as a way to curb video game addiction, which officials say is damaging to children’s health. Those under 18 are prohibited from gaming between 2am and 6am and are also restricted to 90 minutes of gaming on weekdays and three hours on weekends and holidays.
4. __________________ China’s Communist government has also limited the amount of money young people can spend on games: Gamers 8 to 16 years old can spend up to 200 yuan ($29) per week, while those between 16 and 18 years can spend up to 400 yuan ($57) on their gaming accounts.
5. __________________ A husband and wife team of deep-sea explorers have located a long-lost U.S. submarine – the USS Grayback – that sank with 80 sailors on board off the coast of Japan during World War II.
6. __________________ The explorers run the Lost52Project, whose purpose is to find all 52 submarines that have sunk during WWII and were never found. They have located five submarines so far.
7. __________________ Soldiers of the 504th Military Intelligence Brigade expressed concerns after they were ordered by their commander to download an information app onto their personal smartphones. They noted that the app took information from their phones including GPS location data, photos and contacts – and could even rewrite memory cards.
8. __________________ Many of the soldiers in the 504th have top-secret clearances, working in interrogation, human intelligence and counterintelligence. One soldier noted, “This is serious operational security not being considered” and emphasized it is possible that the intelligence officers’ cover might be blown. Soldiers concerns were initially ignored by the colonel who ordered the use of the app.
9. __________________ Deval Patrick, the former two-term Democratic governor of Massachusetts announced on Thursday that he is joining the 2020 presidential primary race. To succeed, he must raise vast amounts of money quickly and build up support.
10. __________________ Two additional Democrats considering jumping into the race include the 2016 Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.