1. What has the date November 8, 1989 come to symbolize to the world?
a) the end of communism in Eastern Europe
b) the day CBS anchor Dan Rather proclaimed “Better off Red than Dead”
c) the day Eastern Europeans demonstrated their opposition to capitalism
d) all of the above
2. Dignitaries and leaders who attended the commemoration of the fall of the Berlin Wall in Germany this week include all except:
a) The former Solidarity trade union leader and former Polish President Lech Walesa
b) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and the other 26 leaders of the European Union
c) President Barack Obama
d) former South African President Nelson Mandela
3. Republican Congressmen have proposed ___________ different amendments to the Rules Committee that would have required members of Congress and the Administration to be enrolled in the same federal health insurance plan proposed for the American people.
d) over 200
4. Republicans proposing that Congress be required to enroll in the same federal health insurance plan proposed for the American people gave all but which one of the following reasons for their proposal:
a) by agreeing to be a part of the same system they are offering the American people, Democrats could send a message that they are confident that their bill will benefit Americans
b) No one, including Congress, will be forced to sign on to government-run health care
c) Forcing members of Congress to walk a mile in the shoes of Medicaid patients is the only way Congress will get serious about making the fundamental fixes to Medicaid that the program needs
d) If Congress forces their constituents into a public option plan over time, then members of Congress should be expected to do the same
5. Veterans Day was called ________________ until 1954 because it marked the day a temporary cessation of hostilities between the Allies and Germany went into effect. It specifically honored the veterans of WWI.
a) Flag Day
c) Memorial Day
d) Armistice Day
6. President Dwight D. Eisenhower was the first president to issue a Veterans Day Proclamation in _____________.
7. The second snowstorm of the season in the Chinese city of _________________ was not natural, but believed to be caused by the government’s Weather Modification Office.
c) Hong Kong
8. The snowstorm was unusual because:
a) there has been an on-going drought in that city
b) it caused major traffic and air delays
c) it had never snowed in that city before
d) it rarely snows in that city
9. The Danish government has increased the amount of money they are paying to each immigrant who agrees to return to their home countries to:
a) 11,000 kroner (approximatley $2,200)
b) 50,000 kroner (approximately $10,000)
c) 100,000 kroner (approximately $20,000)
d) 500,000 kroner (approximately $100,000)
10. The Danish government says it is targeting its program at immigrants in Denmark:
a) who are aren’t adapting to Danish society
b) who are too lazy to work
c) who are Muslims
d) who have learned Danish and can return home to spread Danish culture abroad
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.