1. Security analysts reported over the weekend that hackers were able to interrupt service on several popular websites through a DDoS (a distributed denial of service), which relies on millions of machines sending co-ordinated messages to overwhelm the service through a DNS service company on Friday. The websites that were affected included all but:
2. The hackers used internet-connected home devices in this attack including all but ___________________. Many of the devices involved come from Chinese manufacturers, with easy-to-guess usernames and passwords that cannot be changed by the user.
a) transistor radios
b) coffee makers
c) baby monitors
d) CCTV cameras
3. The two teams playing in this year’s World Series are the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians. The last time the Cubs won the World Series was _____________; the last time the Indians won was 1948.
4. The last time the Cubs played in the World Series was 1945. Why was that the first time Cubs fans were able to watch the games on TV?
a) the World Series was not televised until 1947
b) local TV stations chose not to air the games
c) baseball fans didn’t own tv sets in 1945
d) they didn’t have satellite tv
5. During Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s first visit to Japan this week, Japanese officials were worried that Duterte:
a) would not like Japanese food
b) would want to go sightseeing
c) doesn’t speak Japanese
d) would not behave properly
6. The main issue for Japanese leaders in their meetings with President Duterte was:
a) establishing trade deals with the Philippines
b) convincing Duterte to make Japan his number one ally
c) how Japan can help mend ties between the U.S. and Philippines
d) hiding all of Duterte’s gum to prevent him from chewing it when he mets the Emperor
7. The Boston Globe reported that Jordan Parsons, the MMA fighter killed in a hit-and-run accident in Florida last May, has been posthumously diagnosed with ________________, a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in athletes with a history of repetitive brain trauma, including concussions.
8. The posthumous diagnosis on Jordan Parsons is the first time the disease, which has been found in late former NFL players, has been diagnosed in a ___________________, the Globe reported.
a) football player
c) mixed martial artist
d) Ironman competitor
9. In 2014, an investigation revealed that U.S. veterans were dying while awaiting treatment in Phoenix’s VA Medical Center, due to a secret patient waiting list created to ensure VA staff received their bonuses. Since the scandal was reported:
a) President Obama personally cleaned house at the VA and kept officials’ feet to the fire until the corruption was cleaned up
b) nothing has changed
c) Democrats and Republicans in Congress united to reform the VA and end the ridiculous wait times
d) VA Secretary Bob McDonald appointed an independent committee to completely revamp VA medical facilities
10. Addressing the concern over the amount of time it takes for a veteran to even see a doctor at a VA medical facility, ________ said, “When you go to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line? What’s important is, ‘What’s your satisfaction with the experience?’”
a) Mickey Mouse
b) the Arizona Republic reporter who two years ago uncovered the secret waiting list scandal at the VA facility in Arizona
c) U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Bob McDonald
d) President Obama
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.