NOTE: This week’s quiz is a fact vs. opinion quiz.
- A fact is something that can be verified and backed up with evidence, e.g. Geraldine Ferraro was the first female vice presidential candidate in the U.S.
- An opinion is based on a belief or view. It is not based on evidence that can be verified, e.g. Electing a female vice president will improve our relations with countries around the world.
Directions: Read each of the following statements about this week’s “Daily News Articles.” Write fact or opinion next to each statement. If it is an opinion, explain which part of the statement cannot be verified.
1. __________________ The ACLU is opposed to the TSA conducting “chat-downs” at airport security (questioning passengers about their trip), viewing the questioning as a government invasion of privacy.
2. __________________ Most air travelers would prefer being subjected to a chat-down in place of a full-body scanner.
3. __________________ President Obama sent 100 U.S. special ops trainers and military advisers to Central Africa this week to help track down the leaders of the Lords Resistance Army rebel force.
4. __________________ The American people were happy to give Uganda over $30 million in the past three years to defeat the murderous Lords Resistance Army.
5. __________________ After being held captive in near-isolation for over 5 years, Israeli soldier Gilad Schalit was released in exchange for the release of over 1,000 Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails.
6. __________________ The release of Gilad Schalit in exchange for over 1,000 Palestinians will not lead to peace between Israel and the Palestinians.
7. __________________ Miniature drones, soon to be used by U.S. troops, will reduce the collateral damage caused by larger Predator and Reaper drones currently used to hunt down suspected militants in Pakistan and elsewhere.
8. __________________ The benefits of a mini drone like the Switchblade include being compact, extremely precise and able to be used immediately/on the spot.
9. __________________ Failed suicide-bomber Wafa al-bis, released from an Israeli prison in an exchange for soldier Gilad Schalit, was brainwashed by Hamas militants into believing a suicide mission is honorable.
10. __________________ Out of fear of what Hamas militants might do to her, Wafa al-bis’ mother said she was proud of her daughter’s choice to kill herself for Jihad.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.