DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ A branch of Hamas is operating out of Yemen because Yemeni President Saleh is preoccupied with a rebel group that is fighting against the government.
2. __________________ Yemen’s neighbors are concerned about al Qaeda’s presence there because it is a threat to them.
3. __________________ Two physicists are sharing the Nobel prize for physics this year.
4. __________________ Mr. Kao was awarded half of the physics prize for his groundbreaking achievements in the use of glass fibers for optical communication (the fiber-optic cable).
5. __________________ Czech President Vaclav Klaus is blocking formal ratification of the Lisbon Treaty by refusing to sign it.
6. __________________ More than half of the EU member states must ratify the Lisbon Treaty and submit an instrument of ratification for it to take effect.
7. __________________ The Philadelphia School District has declared that public school principals will now be held accountable for the number of students eating breakfast in their schools.
8. __________________ Only students who are in a low-income bracket are eligible for free breakfasts in Philadelphia public schools.
9. __________________ President Barack Obama has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his commitment to nuclear proliferation.
10. __________________ Journalists were surprised by the Nobel Committee’s decision to award President Obama the Peace Prize because they think it is too soon.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.