DIRECTIONS: Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement. Rewrite each false statement to make it true. (10 points each)
1. __________________ A branch of Hamas is operating out of Yemen because Yemeni President Saleh is preoccupied with a rebel group that is fighting against the government.
2. __________________ Yemen’s neighbors are concerned about al Qaeda’s presence there because it is a threat to them.
3. __________________ Two physicists are sharing the Nobel prize for physics this year.
4. __________________ Mr. Kao was awarded half of the physics prize for his groundbreaking achievements in the use of glass fibers for optical communication (the fiber-optic cable).
5. __________________ Czech President Vaclav Klaus is blocking formal ratification of the Lisbon Treaty by refusing to sign it.
6. __________________ More than half of the EU member states must ratify the Lisbon Treaty and submit an instrument of ratification for it to take effect.
7. __________________ The Philadelphia School District has declared that public school principals will now be held accountable for the number of students eating breakfast in their schools.
8. __________________ Only students who are in a low-income bracket are eligible for free breakfasts in Philadelphia public schools.
9. __________________ President Barack Obama has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his commitment to nuclear proliferation.
10. __________________ Journalists were surprised by the Nobel Committee’s decision to award President Obama the Peace Prize because they think it is too soon.