DIRECTIONS: Decide whether the bolded section is true or false. Write TRUE or FALSE next to each statement, then rewrite each false bolded statement to make it true.
1. __________ A new study shows that highway crashes are decreasing in four states that legalized recreational marijuana.
2. __________ The highway study was conducted comparing the data from four states with legalized recreational marijuana to four control states where it isn’t legal.
3. __________ Norwegian government officials announced on Sunday that the leader of a daring World War Two raid to thwart Nazi Germany’s nuclear ambitions has died aged 99 in Oslo. The team blew up a plant in Norway producing heavy water, a hydrogen-rich substance that was key to the later development of atomic bombs.
4. __________ Norwegian Joachim Roenneberg and his team parachuted onto a snow-covered mountain plateau, where they teamed up with a handful of other commando soldiers before skiing to their destination, penetrating the remote plant on foot and blowing up the heavy water production line. Roenneberg was 23 years old when he sabotaged the plant.
5. __________ President Donald Trump said this week that the U.S. will pull out of a nuclear treaty signed between Washington and Moscow during the Cold War because “The United States has violated the agreement [and has] been violating it for many years.”
6. __________ The Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty between the two countries bans all land-based cruise missiles with a range between 310 and 3,417 miles. Exiting the landmark treaty will, in part, enable the U.S. to counter a Russian arms buildup in the Pacific.
7. __________ A New Hampshire judge put on hold a law that requires residents who are registering to vote to present proof of residency when they register, saying “the law threatens to disenfranchise an individual’s right to vote.”
8. __________ The New Hampshire law requires those registering to present documents proving that they live in the area where they intend to vote within 30 days of an election. If registering on election day, they cannot vote until the next election.
9. __________ Amazon pitched its facial-recognition system to ICE officials as a way for the agency to target or identify illegal immigrants at a meeting in June.
10. __________ Hundreds of anonymous Amazon workers wrote CEO Jeff Bezos a letter after his meeting with ICE expressing their support for the sale of Rekognition to the agency.
Daily “Answers” emails are provided for Daily News Articles, Tuesday’s World Events and Friday’s News Quiz.